This immunity-boosting soup is made with a virtual garden of powerful ingredients (in bold) that contain beneficial nutrients for your immune system:
Turmeric adds a subtle flavor and a beautiful yellow color. The active ingredient is curcumin, a powerful antioxidant.
Black pepper also has antioxidant properties.
Cayenne pepper can clear congestion due to the main active compound capsaicin, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Shiitake mushrooms are rich in vitamins and minerals and contain unique phytonutrients that contribute to good health.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium mushroom, vegetable, or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced kale
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 slices astragalus root (optional)
- 1 fresh lemon, Juice of
- 1 teaspoon miso
- In a sauce pot over medium-high heat, add oil and cook onion and garlic, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric and mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add broth, kale, squash, ginger, cayenne, and astragalus. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, add lemon juice and miso. Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 90 calories (5 from fat), 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 2g protein
Image Attribution: minadezhda/bigstockphoto.com