With crimini mushrooms and tawny port, this barley-mushroom soup is chock-full of flavor, nutrients, and fun! Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced in 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 and 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup tawny port
- 1 tablespoon + 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh sage (or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse and soak barley in 1 cup of warm water while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of broth in a medium soup pot. Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Add drained barley and tawny port; cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add rest of broth and bring soup to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until barley and carrots are tender.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper at the end of cooking and serve.
Image Attribution: Y_Gayvoronskaya/bigstock.com