Popularized by Edgar Cayce in the early twentieth century, castor oil is a traditional natural remedy that dates back to Ancient Egypt, China, Persia, Africa, Greece and Rome. Castor oil comes from the castor seed of the castor oil plant (Ricinus communis), a large shrub. Castor oil packs can be applied almost anywhere on the body, including the abdomen and joints. Castor oil packs are often used when treating the symptoms ofconstipation, digestive disorders, menstrual irregularities, uterine and ovarian cysts, bursitis, as part of a liver detox program and for a variety of skin conditions. A 1999 study found that topical use of castor oil stimulates the lymphatic system, helping the body to remove toxins and promote its own healing.
- 8 oz of cold-pressed, organic castor oil
- Cotton or wool flannel cloth
- Glass bowl - large enough to hold cloth
- Hot water bottle
- Plastic bag or saran wrap
- Couple of old towels
- Clothes that you do mind getting oily
- Place cotton or wool flannel in glass bowl.
- Pour enough castor oil on cloth to completely saturate, but not so much that it is dripping. You can add it a little at a time. Use your hands to knead the cloth and help it absorb the oil.
- Fill water bottle with hot water.
- Put a towel down to protect surfaces where you are doing the castor pack.
- Place saturated cloth on desired part of body and cover with plastic.
- Place hot water bottle on top of plastic covered pack.
- Cover with a towel.
- Leave pack on 30-60 minutes.
- Remove pack and cleanse area with a little soap and water.
- Place cloth in an airtight glass container to be reused for up to 2 weeks.
Do not apply castor oil to broken skin. Do not apply to abdomen in suspected appendicitis. Castor oil should also be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding. As with any medical treatment, it is vital to discuss castor oil treatments with Dr. Bossio before use.
- How is a Castor Oil Pack Made? Cathy Wong, ND, altmedicine.about.com.
- Castor Oil May Help Relieve Arthritis, Sciatica and Back Pain. Mercola.com.
Image Attribution: vasantdave/freeimages.com